Re: Affirmative Action

At 04:52 PM 1/5/96 MST, you wrote:
>On Fri, 5 Jan 1996 01:32:29 -0500  IrishBYTE(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
>
>>When women, people of colour, and our older citizens make significantly more
>>than 67c on the dollar, and we all enjoy the same employment opportunities, I
>>will very happily step off my podium.
>
>Ah, so discrimination is all right, then, as long as it's practiced against
a group *you* picked?
>Why, then shouldn't I happily discriminate against any groups *I* want to
and work to see that
>(asinine) selection enforced by the law?
>
>Shouldn't we instead look at trying to get the most-qualified person into a
given job and leave the
>accident of their glandular status or pigmentation out of it entirely?
Some of us suspect the
>economy would be a lot better off if we were to discriminate on the basis
of talent and ability,
>rather than continuing this sorry practice of discriminating on the basis
of irrelevant accidental
>characteristics.
>
>Nigel
>
>_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
>Nigel Mends, PE
>email:  nmends(--nospam--at)mt.net
>_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

Bravo, Nigel - extremely well said. I agree whole-heartedly, BUT this isn't
a perfect world and one jerk can certainly ruin it for the rest of us. As
long as discrimination does occur how is one to combat it when affirmative
action can be used to create reverse discrimination.
One reader suggested that government stay out of the private section and
this I agree with. Hopefully the struggle that occurs (unfortunately at the
expense of people) will educate management to weed out the perpetrators of
discrimination as well as the opposite end of the scale that would hire only
for reasons of classification by minority. This would leave only those that
hire based upon qualifications.
I believe that Julie Cohen stated it best when she said that there are no
equals in qualifications and if two applicants qualify for the position, the
determination can be made on the basis of a "tie breaking" examination or
interview based solely on ability.
It seems unfortunate that applicants for work can't be interviewed behind a
screen with devises to deguise ones sex, nationality etc. - leaving only
ability to determine qualifications.
Dennis