Re: Affirmative Action

On Sun, 7 Jan 1996 09:28:25 -0800 (PST)  Dennis McCroskey wrote:
>I want to thank all of you for the input on Affirmative Action, it has been
>interesting to see what others think of the subjet.

>Is it working?

In a word, "no".  Working for a governmental agency where we have professional "Thought Police" to
keep us pure in the dogma of PC indicates that the obvious unfairness and absurdity of some of the
situations created under this regime are generating a lot of resentment.  People look over their
shoulders now before they make a racist or sexist remark, but I don't think their essential attitudes
have changed, and they won't change until some blatant fairness is introduced into the system.
Continuing the current attempts to *force* people to be dogmatically "pure" and to march in lockstep
in the religion of Political Correctness may one day generate a rather nasty backlash, if history
teaches us anything about human nature.

People tend not to resent a system they see as inherently fair and reasonable.  Conversely, they will
eventually rebel against one that is neither.  It's time for a change.  That change can either be in
the direction of true fairness under our collective control, or an eventual explosion of resentment
that may not be controllable or pretty to watch.

Nigel

Nigel Mends, PE
email:  nmends(--nospam--at)mt.net