Re: Affirmative Action

>BTW, hope you don't take this too personally.

These are issues that are bigger than individuals.  It would be foolish to
take opinions on these issues "personally".

>To a degree it's make-up work
>for all the things I didn't have the cojones to say when I lived in Florida
>and Alabama and Virginia. I agree that lots has changed down south. (VPI
>lets black people dance with whites, now. Jim Crow busses are gone. Acting
>decent--big wow.)  But lots hasn't changed that also needs changing. And
>not just in the states of the Old Confederacy.

But this is the point: WHO decides WHAT must change, to WHAT DEGREE, and
WHAT constitutes ENOUGH?

Race issues are just as politicized today as ever, because, rather than
allowing the natural progression of the ideals of freedom in this nation
(which has after all been an ongoing process in this nation since its
inception) well-meaning parties, ignorant of human history, have decided
to take a hand themselves.

It can be argued that whenever government has decided to step in and take
an active role in remaking society, it has been a fiasco.  A good example,
I understand, is the situation in Sri Lanka.  The racial tensions there
that have torn the place apart were almost unknown until government types
decided one class of people needed "protection" from the majority.  They
took the concepts of what we today call affirmative action too far, with a
resulting bloody civil war.

When this nation was founded, the high ideals of freedom were tempered by
the realization that freedom was REALLY intended for white landowning
males.  But the ball was started rolling, and "universal" suffrage was
extended again and again until it was, truly, universal as it is today.
There is no reason to believe this would not have happened gradually,
without government intervention, in the case of black Americans.  There
are numerous examples of "second class" citizens who were gradually
accepted into the mainstream, including members of every race on earth.
But the influential black leaders who successfully made the case to the
federal government that blacks deserved a "special status" doomed their
own people to slow, atrophied progress on this front, much as the American
Indians have been halted in their progress toward full participation in
society.

In essence, although I can't possibly disagree with what you have seen, I
CAN say that the way we've gone about trying to rectify the abuses of the
past has prolonged the problem, and made it more complex and difficult to
avail a solution.

That is my point.

--
*      William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.       *
*      The Ultimate in pc.net.surfing:      *