Re: Affirmative Action Thread

WHAT constitutes ENOUGH?

You do.

allowing the natural progression of the ideals of freedom in this nation
(which has after all been an ongoing process in this nation since its
inception) well-meaning parties, ignorant of human history, have decided to
take a hand themselves.

RESPONSE:  Yeah, we ARE making so much progress!

Timeline:  Native Americans have been here about 10,000 years, and are still
a minority.  Genocide can be a setback.  Our nation was officially formed in
1776.  Slavery was abolished in 1876.  Women got the right to actually vote
in 1920.  In 1954, racial segregation was declared unconstitutional.
 According to Encyclopaedia Britannica, "...by the 1970s, black citizens had
acquired access to better public services, broader educational opportunities,
slightly improved economic opportunities, and freer political participation."

-------------------------------------

My point? Maybe the natural progression.....

has after all been an ongoing process in this nation since its inception)

.......maybe the natural progression tends to run a bit too slow when
individuals are free to discriminate.  ALL of the above positive changes to
counteract obvious discrimination came from Supreme Court decisions and
Executive orders, not from individuals like you and I.

hand themselves.

Maybe that's some of us?  (Ignorant of human history and deciding we
personally know better than the laws made by ourselves and our elected
representatives.)

Yeah, you didn't do it.  I didn't do it.  But maybe we do need to attempt to
make partial amends for what our ancestors did, before the interest compounds
further.  Just like we pay their bills when they die.  Just like we expect
our children to fix the environmental degradation and national deficit our
generation imposed.

Linda