Re: Bust'm or not?

Dennis McCroskey wrote:

> >Dear Dennis:
> >
> >I vote not to bust them.
> >
> >Civil engineers practicing structural are the joke of the century. Poor
> >guys can do (by law) about everything that a SE can do, yet are not allowed
> >to compete fairly with SE.
>
> I have experienced that they do compete by charging less.
>

> >A person how obtains his SE license should market in the areas which he
> >could not have when he was a PE. e.g. Hospitals, bridges, schools etc. If
> >he is marketing a Type V residential project, he should not be offended by
> >a PE who is also marketing in the same area.
> >
> >I am currently a PE and will obtain my SE next year. I know my SE will not
> >make me a better engineer than I am. Also, the only reason I want to be an
> >SE is because I like to design high-rise structures.
> >
> >My recommendation, change title of a PE practicing structural, to
> >"Structural Engineer" and change the title of current SE to "Special
> >Structural Engineer". That way we can prevent other PE not practicing
> >structural from doing structural inspections. We saw a lot of that after
> >Northridge. Now, that is dangerous, and they should be busted.
> >
> >Shafat
> >

> If there is any changing to be done, keep the SE as it is.  Develop 2 CE
> types.  One that does not do any structural work and the other (let's say a
> CES) that is a civil who has passed a structural test and can practice
> structural design.
>
> >----------

Dennis, I have started to respond to this message and my machine
crashed. I lost some really good responses - so I'll wing it again.

If the engineer who is advertising is unqualified to practice the work
that he is contacted about, then I agree with you *bust-em*. But if it
is a question of symantics - think again.

The problem may not be the result of the engineer rather than a *bad
law* that has not provided for what the actual community needs. Since
the CE is not advertising that he is an SE (if the condition is the
heading of the phonebook directory only) then the assumption is that the
engineer should not be advertising that he is performing *structural
engineering* type work. Although we know this to be a conflict in the
licensing terminology - the next logical step would be to restrict the
CE from using the term *structural engineering* in the scope of his work
since this *implies* an SE license. If the restriction applies then any
CE designing structure is or should be illegal.

I think you can see where this leads. When I (and probably most)
completed my courses in college (and we did have the choice of courses
to take) I chose building structures as my specialty. When I (and
probably most) took the CE exam - I answered the questions related to
building structure and avoided the area I did not feel competitent in -
land civil. In between school and the exam, I worked for practical
experience in the field of structures to qualify for the work criteria
of the CE exam and had other SE & CE's sign my qualifications.

We are qualified to practice *structural engineering* - to a degree. But
this degree of practice allows many of us to work without having to go
the next step. To sacrifice for the SE exam and never practice on
Essential facilites or high rise buildings defeats the need to take the
exam.

The culmination of knowledge for the SE does not come from the exam, but
rather the experience that leads up to the exam. The level of experience
depends upon the type of structure you regularly design. If an SE passed
his exams solely based upon book knowledge and review courses and has
never practiced on essential facilities or (more the case) high rise
structures - I would be as much afraid to hire him based upon an SE
designation that I would a CE.

The brain surgeon and Protologist are both MD's. I certainly wouldn't
chose the Proctologist to remove a brain tumor. Yet both are listed in
the phone book under Doctors and each is listed in sub-catagories under
Doctors. This allows the public to understand what that person
specializes in. Why is this any different with Structural Engineers.

Back to the original question - is the engineer falsly advertising or
simply trying to correctly identify an area of practice that has not
applicable catagory under the listings in the phonebook? And is (or
should) the phonebook document that is used to determine qualifications
by law? Or is the phonebooks intention only to catagorized businesses so
the caller can *find* what suits their needs? The final determiniation
is for the caller to ascertain the qualifications of the engineer to
meet their needs. For example, what if the caller wants an engineer
qualified to practice structural engineering on a the repair of a home.
When the building official tells him he needs to hire a structural
engineer - this official does not stop and explain that he can use a
Civil qualified to practice structural engineering, but rather that he
needs to find a SE - which is wrong.

Finally (I know I'm running this into the ground) - Shafat mentioned
what I had also suggested days ago - reclassify the SE license not the
CE. The proposed changes to the CE designation by BORPEL will not clear
up the confusion where it needs clarification - with the client. It will
only allow the state to identify infractions of the law by allowing the
state to determine who is qualified and who is not - after the damage is
done.

Enough - my nerves are fried on this issue. I'll keep my thoughts to
myself if I am truly in the minority.

Dennis Wish