Re: Bust'm or not?

Dennis McCroskey wrote:

> >Dear Dennis:
> >
> >I vote not to bust them.
> >
> >Civil engineers practicing structural are the joke of
the century. Poor
> >guys can do (by law) about everything that a SE can do,
yet are not allowed
> >to compete fairly with SE........

For me, I think it is important not to lose site of the
core issue, rather than the legal technicalities that may
or may not be associated with a yellow page listing -- is
an individual competent to practice structural
engineering.  A civil engineer can legally practice
structural engineering (with some exceptions) if they are
competent to do so. He or she just can't use the title or
represent themselves as a "Structural Engineer".  For much
of the public I would believe this to be a very subtle
distinction.

Keep in mind the engineering community is in many ways
relatively small.  Respect for our peers is important.  We
will all find our selves on the other side of the table,
so to speak, at some point and time in our careers.  Going
out of our way to discredit each other, in the end will
benefit none of us. I do not see how yellow page
advertisements constitute major marketing for our
profession.  As professionals, we would be better served
if our professional organizations provided standardized
referrals for engineering services, much like the legal
and medical professions do.  This would have the benefit
of allowing firms and practicioners ample space to list
the specific services that offer and are competent to
provide.  Structural engineering simply encompasses too
much to be clearly definitive for those looking for our
services, yet know nothing about what we do.

Edwin T. Dean, P.E., S.E.