Taxpayer's Savings Act

Hello from the other side of the Pacific;

I am tying to stay informed of the events back in California and was
recently informed of an initiative being passed around with the title of
"The Taxpayer's Savings Act of 1996."  This act is being sponsored by the
government professional engineer's union (I'm not sure of their actual name.)

The meat of this act as I understand it is that all government construction
projects would be required to be designed by government engineers.  This
includes city, county and state projects.  This also includes any private
project that would serve a public function.

I have not heard any mention of this act either in the SEAONC newsletters or
on this list server.  That combined with the fact that the act sounds so
ridiculous makes me wonder if my information is wrong.

Can anyone comment or provide any information?

John F. Jones, P.E.
Winzler & Kelly Guam