Re: Sandwich Panels

>Does anyone have information/comments on the applicability
>and use of insulated sanwich panels as part of a roof
>structure.  The panels would be used to construct the roof
>deck and would span 8ft between manufactured joists.
>
>These are an engineered proprietary system, basically
>consisting of rigid insulation sandwiched between two
>sheets of plywood creating a 6in or 8in thick section.
>There is no other lumber within the panel section. The
>rigid insulation is glued to the plywood and acts
>compositely.  I believe the panels are 4ft wide and can be
>made in lengths up to 20ft or so.  Diaphragm capacity
>would be provided by 2x lumber blocking at the panel
>edges, between sheets,allowing the panels to be connected
>together.
>
>I believe this system has seen significant use in
>residential construction in some markets, but we are being
>asked by the contractor to consider it as
>value-engineering alternative to a panelized wood roof
>system for a commercial application.  Some particular
>concerns are:
>
>Longterm performance.
>Degradation of the insulation/plywood adhesive bond.
>Creep.
>Diaphragm Capacity.
>Ductility.
>Shrinkage of the perimeter panel lumber.
>
>Thanks in advance for any comments.
>
>Ed Dean

I have reviewed and designed buildings with this system.  The systems I used
are called "AFM R-Control Panels"  and they do have rated values for shear
parallel to the wall and testing has been done to determine in plane
capacities.  The owner gave me the information and I am not sure where to
contact them or who AFM is?

My only problem with them was the fact that they used 9" long screws to
attach the panels.  This, in my opinion, seems like it would create bending
on the screws which they would never figure for.  They apparantly did do
testing to determine their design values.

Send me your fax number and I will fax the 4 pages I have to you.

dennismc