Re: Terraced buildings

I believe this will be considered as being a four story structure for design
of the foundation.  Currently Los Angeles City has developed an ordinance
call Division 95 which is for the retrofit and new design of hillside
structures, pending approval of the city counsel.  This has not been
offically adopted by the city, but is now being enforced as a building
department correction.  In this ordinance, which I heard about at a SEAOSC
dinner presentation,  I believe all lateral forces, at each floor level will
have to be transfered by grade beams back up to the highest elevation of the
sloping foundation. Cassions at this location will have to resist the total
lateral forces on the building.  For furthur information, you might contact
Mr. Nick Delli Quadri with the Los Angeles City Department of Building and
Safety to ask about obtaining a copy of this ordinance.   Phone (213)847-4122

Michael Cochran
Brian L. Cochran Associates
Los Angeles, CA.