[SEAOC] Re: Ethical Responsibility and the Engineering License

Thanks for the quick response Bruce. I resolved the problem the way you suggested. I think that this leads to an ethical question that I might upload to the listserve.

Question:
I was hired to provide engineering services to a contractor who is constructing a custom home in La Jolla. The original engineer of record has died and the home is 95% complete. The complaint of a bouncy floor led to a discovery that some remedial work done by the original engineer before his death was not designed properly. While designing a fix for the floor with the installation of structural steel, it was necessary to me to follow the load path down to the existing foundation - to determine the effect of my design on the existing structural members.
One end of my beam rested upon a steel beam that was part of a lateral resisting moment frame which was two stories. Since the effect of my gravity load might intensify the existing results of Lateral + Gravity loading, I decided to model a frame analysis - following the original engineers calculations and frame design.
In the course of doing this, I discovered that the engineers program only gave reactions and displacements, but did not do a code check or report if any member was overstressed or exceeded code required story drift. The engineer (SE) did not provide additional analysis for this information, but did check the columns for bending.
One beam (which lay below my gravity load) was overstressed in bending due to combined loading by over 33% - before my new load was introduced. The story drift exceeded code by 100% at the upper level and 75% at the lower level.

I discovered the inadequacy of the original engineers work by being thorough - in my remedial design - enough to check the effect of my induced axial loads on his frame. The real question is "What is my ethical responsibility where I discover that the original design is deficient. Do I simply address a fix for my work and disregard the other potential problems? Do I notify my client (the contractor) of other