Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Re: [SEAOC] RE: Affirmative Action[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
- Subject: Re: [SEAOC] RE: Affirmative Action
- From: "Dennis S. Wish" <wish(--nospam--at)cyberg8t.com>
- Date: Thu, 01 Feb 1996 16:25:42 -0800
This has been an issue that has spawned many comments. Bill Shermans response to Affirmative Action demonstrates the humanitarian intent of the law. Unfortunatly, it does not demonstrate the reality on how the law affects all of those that must abide by it. Descrimination has pervailed, inspite of Afirmative action since it takes little to disguise ones predjudices. The key comment from Bill was "Overall, I feel that no one should be forced to hire anyone who is not qualified for a position......." This might infer that Affirmative action programs should be maintained for education, so that each applicant can be judged on his/her skills rather than socio-economic ( or sex / religious) qualifications. With adequate eductation, the applicant has the ability to compete on similar terms for a job. In the job market, Affirmative Action has led to reverse discrimination and abuse of the terms of the law. Possibily the solution is to eliminate AA requirments for hiring, but continue to provide them for education. Comments? Dennis Wish PE ...
- Prev by Subject: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] wood panel shear wall/frames
- Next by Subject: Re: [SEAOC] RE: Affirmative Action
- Previous by thread: FWD>[SEAOC] Truss cambering
- Next by thread: Re: [SEAOC] RE: Affirmative Action