RE: [SEAOC] Re: Affirmative Action

On Sun, 4 Feb 1996 01:03:19 -0500  IrishBYTE(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
>first place?  When I was in
>school ten or so years ago, we only had two or three females out of an
>engineering student body of two or three hundred.  Of course, we wouldn't
>want to let mere facts get in the way...
>
>Response:  Twenty years ago, when I was in school, 1% of all PEs were women.
> My graduating class was 2% women at U C Davis, and most of us had been
>influenced by the AA recruitment team.  I know this because I headed the SWE
>group (all thirteen of us.)  Now, with the advent of AA programs, women
>comprise more like 6% of all engineers.  Thank you for illustrating my point
>with mere facts.

That makes a great throwaway line, but the connection between reverse discrimination in hiring and
promotion on the job and increased enrollment in college escapes me.

>engineers?
>
>Response:  Perhaps we need to address the reason WHY more men than women want
>to become engineers - on a ratio of sixteen to one.

Why would we need to?  Certain vocations have a tendency to attract more of one sex than of the
other.  Why on earth must we demand absolute numerical equivalency in every profession?  Shouldn't we
"cherish diversity"?

>perhaps we all need to evaluate whether we are truly looking at the
>qualifications and skills of each person when we hire or recommend promotion
>- rather than the person's sex, skin colour, sexual preference, age, or

Yet you promote "AA" programs that institutionalize discrimination, and insist on attaining
professional populations based only on gonads; the only difference is you want a different group of
victims.  As long as you insist on purity of a population based on something as irrelevant as
glandular status you perpetuate the very discriminatory practices you so stridently claim to abhor.

Nigel

Nigel Mends, PE
email:  nmends(--nospam--at)mt.net