Re: [SEAOC] Re: Affirmative Action

At 01:03 AM 2/4/96 -0500, IrishBYTE(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
>first place?  When I was in
>school ten or so years ago, we only had two or three females out of an
>engineering student body of two or three hundred.  Of course, we wouldn't
>want to let mere facts get in the way...
>
>Response:  Twenty years ago, when I was in school, 1% of all PEs were women.
> My graduating class was 2% women at U C Davis, and most of us had been
>influenced by the AA recruitment team.  I know this because I headed the SWE
>group (all thirteen of us.)  Now, with the advent of AA programs, women
>comprise more like 6% of all engineers.  Thank you for illustrating my point
>with mere facts.

>engineers?
>
>Response:  Perhaps we need to address the reason WHY more men than women want
>to become engineers - on a ratio of sixteen to one.

>Question:  What is the first thing parents of an infant are always asked?
>
>Answer:  Is it a boy or a girl?
>
>Qusetion:  Why do we care whether the baby is male or female?
>
>Answer:  So we know how to treat the baby.
>
>Numerous studies by reputable universities show that girl children and boy
>children are raised differently from birth.  Parents, teachers and other
>adults treat them differently based soley upon sex.  Girls are not encouraged
>to pursue "boy activities", in the absence of AA programs.
>
>In fact, when asked about their competency in math/science skills, boys
>consistently overrate their perceived skills and girls grossly underrate
>their own skills.  I have seen this myself when I volunteer at grammar
>schools for enrichment classes.
>
>Perhaps this is why we need AA programs to encourage 50% of our populace to
>consider, and have hopes of succeeding, in our field of engineering.  And,
>perhaps we all need to evaluate whether we are truly looking at the
>qualifications and skills of each person when we hire or recommend promotion
>- rather than the person's sex, skin colour, sexual preference, age, or
>whatever.
>
>Linda Nott

Pure feminist propaganda. The observation of every parent is that girls and
boys are different in every way: temperment, interests, social interaction.
Ms. Nott would like us to view each applicant truly on qualifications and
skills-but only after quotas have been met. And the government is watching.

>*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers Association of
California