[SEAOC] WINMAIL.DAT and Mail loop Problem

As most of you know, this mail server is extremely busy. On an average we
get 60 email a week.
All of you must have noticed a series of email sent on the afternoon of
Saturday, Feb 3, 1996. The problem was with another server (pdv.com) which
could not deliver one of our email to its users. Normally, the server
returns the email to the "owner" not "sender". However, this server
returned it to the sender, which in our case is seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org.

It was then treated as any other email sent to our list. So, it got
circulated again to all the subscribers, including the bad address at
pdv.com. This created an endless loop.

I was invited for dinner at my sister's house. After dinner around 10:30 pm
I checked my email on my brother-in-law's computer. When I saw over 40
email in the loop, I felt hungry again. I immediately unsubscribed two
addresses which were listed at pdv.com. That did it.

I appreciate your patience and cooperation in such situations. To avoid
such problems, I recommend the following.

1. If you cancel or change your email address, please unsubscribe first.
You can do that by sending an email to seaoc-request(--nospam--at)seaoc.org and type the
word unsubscribe in the body of the message. You will get an acknowledgment
from our list server in less than five minutes.

2. When, something like this happens, do not, I repeat, do not send any
mail to server or me. I check the server at least six times a day. Had it
not been a Saturday, I would have stopped it right away. You email at such
times can act like fuel to the fire. Although, I must add, that most of the
subscribers on this list are cooperative and real professional, which I
highly appreciate.

Now, the question of WINMAIL.DAT file attached to some email. It only
happens for email sent from Microsoft Exchange. The problem is fonts and
color. Exchange allows an email to be sent in different fonts and colors.
The information about the fonts and colors is stored in a file called
WINMAIL.DAT. If you are not reading the email using MS Exchange, the file
will simply come to you as an attachment or as binary coded. My
recommendation at this point is to ignore it. I will look further and post
the fix procedure for this problem.

Once again, thank you for your cooperation. Keep the fire on..

Shafat Qazi, P.E.
Chair SEAOC CAC