RE: [SEAOC] Re: Affirmative Action

On Sun, 4 Feb 1996 18:34:51 -0600  Christopher Wright wrote:
>> As long as you insist on purity of a population based on something as
>>irrelevant as
>>glandular status you perpetuate the very discriminatory practices you so
>>stridently claim to abhor.
>
>Nigel's whole post sounds very much like the arguments against every
>constructive change I've ever heard, from school integration to health care
>reform. There are 3 main principles, all bogus:
>
>1. Everyone was happy before outside agitators stirred things up.
>
>2. The problem results from universal law and anyway, everyone else does it.
>
>3. Excuse inaction by assuming the victim vocabulary to gain sympathy.
>
>If history has one lesson, it's that people in power can either face a
>problem and act responsibly or get shoved aside when others take action.
>Discrimination exists; if we don't deal with it, we have no complaints when
>someone else does.

My, my!  From your response you certainly read a lot into my comments that I never said:-)  My basic
position, and the one I continue to maintain, is that discrimination is flat wrong.  It doesn't
matter who the victims are; it doesn't matter which self-appointed Guardians of the Truth practice
it.  It's just wrong.

The current practice of reverse discrimination continues an attitude that we've already declared so
reprehensible that we've sought to end it by enacting laws to stop it.  Since we've just created
another group of victims, though, we perpetuate the indignation and hatred for generations to come.
The only way to end discrimination is to end it.  Any other approach just perpetuates this abusive
practice until the time when one group of victims or another down through the years gets incensed
enough to try to bring the system down to make it stop.  As you said, history shows us that again and
again.

Nigel

Nigel Mends, PE
email:  nmends(--nospam--at)mt.net