[SEAOC] Re: Gypsum concrete roof

--- begin forwarded text

From: LAX23(--nospam--at)dames.com
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 1996 09:51:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [SEAOC] Re: Gypsum concrete roof
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Sender: owner-seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org

This type of gypsum roof system was quite popular in the 60's,
especially for industrial building.  I had seismically upgraded
a building of this type, built in the 60's, the roof diaphragm is
2-1/2 inch gypsum with wire mesh formed on formboard spanning
between subpurlins( bulb-tee or truss tee) supported by open
web steel joists and beams.  The gypsum roof you have, can be
either class A or B (see UBC Table 26-H, or AFM 88-3 chapter 5).
We did some compression and shear tests on the gypsum concrete
in order to find out the existing capacities and properties of
the gypsum roof system and apply the results on a 3-D FEM analysis
to do the seismic upgrade design.

My conclusion was that this type of roof system is very brittle
and weak.  If you expose the roofing, as we did, you will
probably find cracks all over the roof, depending on the history
of the traffic at the roof.  Your prime concerns shall be the shear
transfer connections from the gypsum roof to the subpurlins and
to the rest of the structure.  I also conclude that this type of
roof system should not be spanned more than 100 feet for seismic
purposes.  Be aware of the wall to diaphragm connections also,
they usually don't behave that well for past earthquakes.

I hope that this will help you, good luck!

From:  Tom Chiu, SE
       Dames & Moore, Inc.
       Lax23(--nospam--at)Dames.Com
******* ******* ******* *******
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers Association of
California
*   (SEAOC) email server. To subscribe (no fee) to the list, send email to
*   seaoc-request(--nospam--at)seaoc.org and in the body of the message type subscribe.
*   To Unsubscribe, send email to seaoc-request(--nospam--at)seaoc.org and in the body of the
*   message type Unsubscribe. You can type anything you like in the subject
field.
*   For questions, send email to seaoc-ad(--nospam--at)seaoc.org.
*   Make sure you visit our web site at:
*   http://www.seaoc.org/seaoc

--- end forwarded text

---

Claes Magnusson,

MacMeckarna AB, Master Johansgatan 15, S-211 21 Malmo, SWEDEN
Tel +46 40-356 100, Direct +46 40-356 161, Fax +46 40-974 880
Mobile Telephone +46 708 13 22 40 Mobile Fax +46 708 13 22 41
claes.magnusson(--nospam--at)macmeckarna.com  //www.mm.se/claes.magnusson/

You can send email directly to my mobile phone! Put your text
in the subject field (only) and mail to t0708132240(--nospam--at)gsm.mm.se