Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 19:22:53 -0800
From: Lynn Howard <lhoward(--nospam--at)silcom.com>
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject: Re: [SEAOC] Computer Applications
Sender: owner-seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org

Marlou B. Rodriguez wrote:

>         Here at California Polytechnic State University at San Luis Obispo,
> we use Macintosh based Structural Engineering software such as Multiframe,
> Msc/Pal,etc...  We are currently considering upgrading our software and
> computer applications to assist our Architectural Engineering students to be
> more prepared when they graduate.
>         I would like to get some input from some of the practicing engineers
> what kind of structural engineering software we should look at in order to
> prepare our students for the future.
>
> Thank you for any response.

The first thing you and your professors need to realize is that very few
engineering offices use Mac's.  I have never seen one in the many places
I have worked, and none of the companies I know of around here use them.
 Therefore, the most usefull thing you could do would be to dump your
Mac's and get some Intel chip computers.
Then, for 2D design and analysis, try Enercalc & Fastframe, RISA2D and
STAAD.  For 3D, try ETABS, SAP90, RISA3D.  There are many others, and
these aren't necessarily the best.  But they are very popular packages.
To my knowledge, none of these run on a Mac.
Lynn
******* ******* ******* *******
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers Association of
California
*   (SEAOC) email server. To subscribe (no fee) to the list, send email to
*   seaoc-request(--nospam--at)seaoc.org and in the body of the message type subscribe.
*   To Unsubscribe, send email to seaoc-request(--nospam--at)seaoc.org and in the body of the
*   message type Unsubscribe. You can type anything you like in the subject
field.
*   For questions, send email to seaoc-ad(--nospam--at)seaoc.org.
*   Make sure you visit our web site at:
*   http://www.seaoc.org/seaoc

--- end forwarded text

---

Claes Magnusson,

MacMeckarna AB, Master Johansgatan 15, S-211 21 Malmo, SWEDEN
Tel +46 40-356 100, Direct +46 40-356 161, Fax +46 40-974 880
Mobile Telephone +46 708 13 22 40 Mobile Fax +46 708 13 22 41
claes.magnusson(--nospam--at)macmeckarna.com  //www.mm.se/claes.magnusson/

You can send email directly to my mobile phone! Put your text
in the subject field (only) and mail to t0708132240(--nospam--at)gsm.mm.se