[SEAOC] Steel moment frames for California school buildings

Dear distinguished group of Engineers:

We are doing a new "field house" at our local city college.  The building is
about 100 ft. x 60 ft. in size.  It will be a new building down close to the
track where students will store their track and other sports equipment. The
college wants this building built as cheaply as possible, with no frills.  It
is after all, just a storage building.  They have asked me to consider using
a pre-engineered metal building, with steel moment frames at about 20 foot
centers.  The question I have is about the policy the California Department
of State Architects (DSA) how has about full scale testing requirements for
steel moment frames.  I do not believe that moment frames such as the ones
used in pre-engineered metal buildings expereinced the failures that the
multi-story frames did in the Norhtridge earthquake.  Is the DSA requiring
that the very "traditional" moment frames in one story metal buildings have
full scale testing before being allowed?  I am assuming that these are
designed as Ordinary Moment Frames, and not as Special (ductile) Moment
frame.
I would appreciate it if anyone with any knowledge in this area could be of
assistance.  If getting a pre-engineered metal building approved by the DSA
is going to be a problem, then I would like to find out as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Lynn Howard