[SEAOC] RE: Cost of building codes

Dennis S. Wish wrote:

>If the sole issue is to recoup the clerical costs of ICBO and other
organizations
>that propose these codes, why not simply tax the public on each building
project for
>a few dollars that goes for reimbursement of these development costs?...The
government >doesn't create a tax code and then charge you each time you want
to reference a
>section necessary to complete your returns.  It seems outrageous to develop a
code
>and then charge the design professional to use it - rather than charge the
public
>for it's development....Either way, ICBO does not loose money on the venture
and >probably would gain more if they collected money from permits issued
rather than >professionals pockets.

Your idea to pay for codes with taxes sounds great - except that ICBO is not a
governmental agency with taxing authority.  If you can get the state or
municipalities to collect a new tax and donate it to ICBO, that would permit
publication price reductions - but how are you going to get the new taxes
passed?  ACI and AISC also develop codes and make money selling codes as
publications - they can't collect taxes from builders but have to charge
engineers and voluntary member organizations for development costs.  Is ICBO
any different?  Should we raise taxes and have a new building code sent to
every household each time a new code comes out (like IRS does with tax forms)?
 We can't expect "free codes".