Re: [SEAOC] Steel moment frames for California school buildings

******* ******* ******* *******
>*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers Association of
California
>*   (SEAOC) email server. To subscribe (no fee) to the list, send email to
>*   seaoc-request(--nospam--at)seaoc.org and in the body of the message type subscribe.
>*   To Unsubscribe, send email to seaoc-request(--nospam--at)seaoc.org and in the body
of the
>*   message type Unsubscribe. You can type anything you like in the subject
field.
>*   For questions, send email to seaoc-ad(--nospam--at)seaoc.org.
>*   Make sure you visit our web site at:
>*   http://www.seaoc.org/seaoc
****** ***** ******* *******

Dear Lynn,

You can contact any of the ORS or DSA offices via email.  There is a
directory of email addresses referenced from the WWW Virtural Library of
Structural Engineering. <http://www.seaoc.org/seaoc/sevhmpg1.htm> Go to the
government section and click the DSA Email Adresses hyperlink.  You can
refer specific questions to which ever office will be dealing with this project.

I have done similar buildings and processed thru them in the past.  The
problem, at the time, was more one of quality control.  Normal DSA projects
require testing, inspections and tagging of materials which are custom
fabricated for that project.

Premanufactured buildings, as you described above, generally are built with
custom fit frames and off the shelf purlins rafters and girts.  The
manufacutres are not generally set up for the type of testing and
inspections required by DSA.  The additional inpections and testing required
will drive the cost of theese buildings up and may defeat their economical
advantage.

I am also processing a steel building thru OSHPD with rigid frames.  They
are not requireing testing as long as the design meets their criteria in the
latest SAC Advisory report.

Hope this helps,

dennismc