Re: [SEAOC] RE: Cost of building codes

My solution was based upon recouping the cost that Frank Lew suggested
was compensated to SEA organizations for developement and testing in the
process of code development. The cost of production for publication of
the code is, of course, left to ICBO. Since SEAOC is a non-profit
organization, it would seem prudent for the municpalities to provide the
major funding for codes development where non-profit status
organizations are involved. If less development cost were made the
responsibility of ICBO, would the issue of high code cost or even the
availability of codes on electronic media even be an issue.
It just seems to me that the service provided by ICBO is to act as an
independent agency that code development is funneled into for final
approval of voting members - which are comprised of building officials
and other professionals.
I guess what I am really trying to get to is the questions of ownership
of the code criteria. Is the sole purpose of ICBO that of a growing
company that secures profit - or was the intention to provide a service
to building departments and professionals (along with all of the private
services offered to the public).
This is not meant to be an attach on ICBO. I am not a member and don't
really understand much more that what lies in the code books that I
purchase and use for design. I am now and have served on different
committees for SEAOC and SEAOSC. The committees that I worked with
released what is now the UCBC Chapter 1 Appendix 1 and the UCBC Chapter
Appendix 5 for light framed wood structures. My involvement ended upon
completion of the URM and Tilt-up code proposals. I have not attended an
ICBO meeting to see how they work. Therefore these are some un-informed
suggestions.

Dennis