Re: [SEAOC] Steel moment frames for California school buildings

Dennis McCroskey wrote:

> >Dear distinguished group of Engineers:
> >
> >We are doing a new "field house" at our local city college.  The building is
> >about 100 ft. x 60 ft. in size.  It will be a new building down close to the
> >track where students will store their track and other sports equipment. The
> >college wants this building built as cheaply as possible, with no frills.  It
> >is after all, just a storage building.  They have asked me to consider using
> >a pre-engineered metal building, with steel moment frames at about 20 foot
> >centers.  The question I have is about the policy the California Department
> >of State Architects (DSA) how has about full scale testing requirements for
> >steel moment frames.  I do not believe that moment frames such as the ones
> >used in pre-engineered metal buildings expereinced the failures that the
> >multi-story frames did in the Norhtridge earthquake.  Is the DSA requiring
> >that the very "traditional" moment frames in one story metal buildings have
> >full scale testing before being allowed?  I am assuming that these are
> >designed as Ordinary Moment Frames, and not as Special (ductile) Moment
> >frame.
> >I would appreciate it if anyone with any knowledge in this area could be of
> >assistance.  If getting a pre-engineered metal building approved by the DSA
> >is going to be a problem, then I would like to find out as soon as possible.
> >
> >Thank you.
> >
> >Lynn Howard
> ******* ******* ******* *******
> >*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers Association of
> California
> >*   (SEAOC) email server. To subscribe (no fee) to the list, send email to
> >*   seaoc-request(--nospam--at)seaoc.org and in the body of the message type subscribe.
> >*   To Unsubscribe, send email to seaoc-request(--nospam--at)seaoc.org and in the body
> of the
> >*   message type Unsubscribe. You can type anything you like in the subject
> field.
> >*   For questions, send email to seaoc-ad(--nospam--at)seaoc.org.
> >*   Make sure you visit our web site at:
> >*   http://www.seaoc.org/seaoc
> ****** ***** ******* *******
> >

> Dear Lynn,
>
> You can contact any of the ORS or DSA offices via email.  There is a
> directory of email addresses referenced from the WWW Virtural Library of
> Structural Engineering. <http://www.seaoc.org/seaoc/sevhmpg1.htm> Go to the
> government section and click the DSA Email Adresses hyperlink.  You can
> refer specific questions to which ever office will be dealing with this project.
>
> I have done similar buildings and processed thru them in the past.  The
> problem, at the time, was more one of quality control.  Normal DSA projects
> require testing, inspections and tagging of materials which are custom
> fabricated for that project.
>
> Premanufactured buildings, as you described above, generally are built with
> [...]

Thanks for the information on E-mail for the DSA.  I have discovered the
E-mail addresses of all of the DSA plan checkers.

As usual, I can see how some of the "special" DSA requirements could run
the cost up.  I also suspect that the design and structural calculations
will have to be completed before the project goes out to bid. This will
requrie me to do the calculations and design, and then once a successfull
bidder is selected, the metal building manufacturer will do them again.
I guess two sets of designs is better than none :)  But the school will
also end up having to pay for both designs :(

Lynn