Re: [SEAOC] RE: Cost of building codes

>The adoption by reference I've described
>could reduce the actual body of the code immensely with a compensurate
>reduction in price.

Hardly. The cost of all the documents separately would be significantly more
expensive  than if incorporated into an individual code. Some of the
standards are more widely available than others. Most SE's have an AISC
Handbook. But fewer have a copy ACI 318 handy because it is already published
in the UBC *and* it doesn't come as part of a larger handy reference work.
(The Manual of Practice does not constitute a "handy" reference.<g>) Not all
engineers have a copy of the NDS laying around either, for the same reason.

I agree with the concept of a national uniform code, but only if the design
specs are included.

Mark Deardorff