Re: [SEAOC] Tiltup Retrofit Anchors

>Dennis Wish PE wrote:
>I concur with Tom Honles assessment of expansion anchors, although the
>Tilt-up committee had taken a position on "under-cut" anchors and felt
>that these would be perferable to expansion anchors. The Under-cut
>anchor, though, requires a special bit since the end of the hole is
>widened (bell shaped) to gain a greater hold with less tension against
>the sides.
>I perfer, and always have - especially with retrofit into poorer grades
>of concrete - to use the Hilti Hit anchor system with their C-100 epoxy
>adhesive for solid based materials. Covert Anchor uses a similar
>adhesive as does a typical SAE 1018 threaded rod and the Simpson
>"Epoxy-Tie" adhesive system.
>Hope this helps.

        I have found recently that DSA/SSS and OSHPD do not allow this type
of epoxy attachment system due to a lack of "long-term durability testing".
We were forced to go to sleeve and/or expansion anchors on recent hospital
jobs because of that "lack" of testing.
        I'd be curious if anyone else ran into similar design challenges.
                - Terry Weatherby