Re: [SEAOC] Flexibility of metal deck

>We are peer reviewing a building design.  The designer maintains that ALL
>metal decks are "flexible."  We have heard this before, mostly from
>greybeards.
>
>Our position is that, in fact, a metal deck can be quite rigid (either by the
>TM 5-809-10 definition, or by the 1994 UBC 1628.5 definition) and, if it is,
>should be analyzed as rigid.
>
>Do YOU consider ALL metal decks to be "flexible", regardless of weld pattern,
>number of spans, diaphragm configuration, bracing location, etc.?

Unless it has concrete fill, it is flexible.  In some cases, it may be
considered as semi-rigid.  I usually look at it both ways and take the worst
case or each line of resistance.

Just another guy with grey hair, grey beard and grey mustache, but I can
kick your behind on a baseball field any day.

dennismc

>*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers Association of
California