Re: [SEAOC] Applicability of building codes

VERY INTERESTING TOPIC AND I TO LOOK FORWARD TO THE RESPONSES ON THIS ITEM.
 MY EXPERIENCE HAS BEEN ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS AS FAR AS PROVIDING
SPECIFICALY HANDICAPED ACCESS.   AN ELECTRICAL SUBSTATION (BASIC SHELL FOR
ELEC. EQUIP.) FOR INSTANCE HAD HANDICAPPED ACCESS WAIVERED AND ONLY DOORS
WERE PROVIDED.  THIS TYPE BUILDING IN SERVICE IS ACCESSED AS OFTEN AS OUR
HOME FUSE BOX. (NO OCCUPANTS)  IN ANOTHER CITY ONLY THE FUNNY LITTLE
HANDRAILS AT THE STAIRS WERE REQUIRED, PROBABLY BECAUSE OF POOR SCHMOOZING ON
MY PART.
STAIRS FOR EQUIPMENT STRUCTURES LEAVE ME IN YOUR SAME BOAT AND I ALSO WONDER
ABOUT HANDICAPPED PROVISIONS IN HAZARDOUS INDUSTRIAL EQUIPMENT STRUCTURES
BECAUSE RIGHT NOW THESE STRUCTURES PROHIBIT THE HANDICAPPED FROM WORKING
THERE.  IF THE OWNER WERE TO EMPLOY AND PLACE A HANDICAPPED PERSON IN THAT
ENVIRONMENT I SEE IT AS CATCH 22.