Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Re: [SEAOC] Re: Substitution of OSB for plywood sheathing[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
- Subject: Re: [SEAOC] Re: Substitution of OSB for plywood sheathing
- From: terry2(--nospam--at)pumpkin.cdepot.net (Terry Weatherby)
- Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 17:12:07 -0800
>Lynn said: >I would be interested in the nature of the failures you observed. Did >the nails pull through the OSB, or did the nails stay in the OSB but pull >out of the supporting member? Or perhaps it pulled out laterally through >the edges. Or perhaps their were other modes of failure. Any specifics >on this would help. >And did you observe any floor OSB failures? Our office uses OSB on almost every project without significant ill structural effects. At an APA seminar several years ago we were told that the tables in the UBC apply to plywood AND OSB diaphragms. Its my guess that the shear values in the tables were actually lowered slightly so that OSB could comply (any APA eavesdroppers, please correct me if I'm wrong). I know that DSA/SSS (California State Schools) and OSHPD (Californai State Hospitals) do NOT allow OSB on full California Building Code compliant (Title 24) buildings at this time. The note we would typically use on our horizontal diaphragms, for example, would be something like: 1/2" or 15/32" Roof sheathing APA C-D 32/16 with exterior glue fabricated in conformance to ICBO Report No. NER-108 with 8d nails at 6" o.c. Boundary and Edge Nailing and with 8d at 12" o.c. field nailing - unblocked. The ICBO report referenced covers both OSB and plywood. DSA/SSS and OSHPD requires plywood compliance to US Product Standard 1-83 (or something like that). I hope this proves helpful. - Terry P.S. Our office resume is at http://www2.cdepot.net/~terry2/wrce.html for anyone who would like more information. ...
- Prev by Subject: Re: [SEAOC] Re: Substitution of OSB for plywood sheathing
- Next by Subject: Re: [SEAOC] Re: Substitution of OSB for plywood sheathing
- Previous by thread: Re: [SEAOC] Re: Substitution of OSB for plywood sheathing
- Next by thread: Re: [SEAOC] Re: Substitution of OSB for plywood sheathing