Re: RE: [SEAOC] OSHPD Reorg & Seis Safety Commission Action 3/14/96

Dear Shafat:

Sorry that my summary wasn't clear. The item a) "clip" you inquired about
included an 'as follows:' after which I listed SEAOC's three recommendations
verbatim:

1. Detailed plan reviews of every project, as well as construction oversight,
should continue to be conducted by experienced Structural Engineers.

2. The timing and frequency of site visits should be at the discretion of the
OSHPD Structural Engineer. The construction support by structural enginers
should continue at a level equivalent to that which has been provided in the
most recent past.

3. The structural engineer plan reviewer, or a designated structural
engineering peer review panel, should retain authority for resolving
technical differences. Technical structural safety decisions should be under
the jurisdiction of a Structural Engineer.

This is from a 3/13/96 letter the SEAOC Board had directed President Maryann
Phipps to write after a preliminary briefing before the Board at its January
meeting. The Seismic Safety Commission added items b) and c) beyond SEAOC's
recommendations as further requests to OSHPD as part of its conditional
endorsement of OSHPD's reorganization.