[SEAOC] Factors of Safety: Short-Term Structures

A bit of a philosophical question:

We don't often think about the fact that, when we design a structure in
steel or concrete, using the requisite building/design codes, there is a
built-in supposition that the structure is "permanent," which in
practical, human terms means a life-span of perhaps twenty years or so
(unless it is a sports stadium, which seems to be "old-fashioned" and
"out of date" within five years after completion, if you believe the
NFL/NBA owners.  But I digress...)

But what if you have a structure which, although it will have a glorious
existence, will have a necessarily brief one?  By "brief," I'm talking
in terms of just a few weeks!  Must you apply just as rigorous a regimen
of safety factors to such a structure?  And if not, HOW would one
rationally compute the "additional" allowable?

I'd love some input on this.  Thank you.

--
*      William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.         *
*       The Ultimate in pc.net.surfing:       *