Date: Wed, 20 Mar 96 09:05:00 PST
From: "Nester, Melvin R." <mrnester(--nospam--at)rdyne.rockwell.com>
Subject: RE: [SEAOC] Factors of Safety: Short-Term Structures

In many industries--such as aerospace--short design life is a common
parameter.  Often the useful life of a new facility is 6-18 months.   In
designing such, minimum  factors of safety do not change, and codes are
still "minimum" requirements.  Design decisions for durability, maintenance
costs, and longevity, however, may not be same as for the typical 30 year
structure.  (According to the IRS, minimum design life of a typical
structure is 30 years.  Anything less is "accellerated amortization".)

M. Russell Nester, SE, GE
mrnester(--nospam--at)rdyne.rockwell.com