Re: [SEAOC] Factors of Safety: Short-Term Structures

I hate it when the client says "It's only temporary." Very few structures
that I have been told to design as temporary, ever get torn down within
even 5 or 10 years. I would not reduce loadings or increase allowable
stresses for short term (in most cases.)

On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, Bill Polhemus wrote:

> A bit of a philosophical question:
>
> We don't often think about the fact that, when we design a structure in
> steel or concrete, using the requisite building/design codes, there is a
> built-in supposition that the structure is "permanent," which in
> practical, human terms means a life-span of perhaps twenty years or so
> (unless it is a sports stadium, which seems to be "old-fashioned" and
> "out of date" within five years after completion, if you believe the
> NFL/NBA owners.  But I digress...)
>
> But what if you have a structure which, although it will have a glorious
> existence, will have a necessarily brief one?  By "brief," I'm talking
> in terms of just a few weeks!  Must you apply just as rigorous a regimen
> of safety factors to such a structure?  And if not, HOW would one
> rationally compute the "additional" allowable?
>
> I'd love some input on this.  Thank you.
>
> --
> *      William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.         *
> *       The Ultimate in pc.net.surfing:       *
> *       - OS/2 Warp V. 3.0                    *
> *       - Souper V. 1.14 for OS/2             *
> *       - YARN Beta V. 0.88 for OS/2          *
> * "For my soul delighteth in the song of the  *
> *  heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a *
> *  prayer unto me, and it shall be answered   *
> *  with a blessing upon their heads."         *
> *  - Doctrine and Covenants 25:12             *

Bob Shilling, SE             Berkeley, CA          shilling(--nospam--at)emf.net
KK6QQ          MSA Single 10, 3 floor, 4 knee             DoD# 1195
      "This alligator walks into a bar and ..."   Horizon Kent