Re: [SEAOC] Factors of Safety: Short-Term Structures

Interestingly we may let IRS determine the life of a structure.  Let us go
one step further.  Ask your attorney how long is the limit of your liability
for your design?  Make sure that the shoret term is in the contract (with
owner, not just with architect.)  I have seen too many "temporary" structures
being reused and reused.  Remember the portable buildings we saw in the
Calstate-Northridge campus after Jan 94?  Bet you they are still there.  If
not, probably moved somewhere else as a "new" temporary structure.
Ever think how those "historical" buildings gets there?  We may be able to
find a "historical temporary" building somewhere.
I would assume the life of a building the life of the structural elements
myslf.