Re: [SEAOC] Steel Moment Connections with Cover Plates

On3/27 - Anthony Tarek wrote:
> This question is in regard to steel moment connections with cover plates.
> Most of the test conditions and published results (i.e FEMA guidelines)
> that I have seen have a continuous column with a beam butting against it.
> If a beam is continuous over the column is it necessary to use cover plates
> on the beam? And if so, does this effectively shift the plastic hinge away
> from the connection.
> Another scenario is to place cover plates at the column flanges instead of
> beam flanges. Does this strengthen or adversely undermine the column
> connection?

Response:
Running the beam through the column may be an effective solution in
some cases.  This would not shift the plastic hinge away from the
joint.  You would still have a plastic hinge forming at the face of
the column, where presumably, you would have a joint in the column
flange, however, you would probably not be placing this welded joint
into a plastified condition, so long as the column is of adequate
strength relative to the beam to assure that plastic action occurs in
the beam.

Please note however, that you introduce a discontinuity (the welded
joint) into the column at a point of high stress, which is genearlly
not good practice.   Essentially, you are introducing a column splice
at the point of highest stress.  While this is not prohibited, it can
result in fracture initiation in the column, if the weld is of
inadequate toughness and incorporates sufficiently large  flaws or
discontinuities.  Full penetration welds should always be specified
for this joint, not partial penetration, as the partial penetration
weld can easily initiate fracture under high stress demand.

You may be interested to note that a detail somewhat similar to this
is quite common in Japan.  A number of buidlings using this detail
in Kobe experienced fracture at the column to girder splice
connection, as a result of either the use of fillet welds for this
joint, partial penetration welds, or welds of inadequate toughness.

If this detail is attempted, it would be a good idea to perform some
qualitifcation testing, as I am not aware of any available data on
the performance of this connection type.  Also, the full pen welds of
the column flanges to the beam should incorporate notch tough weld
metal (20 ft-lbs at 0deg. F) as suggested by the SAC Interim
Guidelines (FEMA-267)  for critical joints.

Regards,
Ron Hamburger
Project Director for Product Development
SAC Steel Project

Ronald O. Hamburger, SE
Regional Manager
EQE International, Inc.