Re: [SEAOC] ASD or LRFD?

> Question for anyone who's interested:
>
> Are you using ASD or LRFD (or something else) for steel design, and why?
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce Bates
> RISA technologies

We use only ASD in our office.  Why, only because we don't have the time
to go back and learn LRFD.  Four of our five Engineers are "seasoned"
engineers and did not have the benefit of learning this method in school.
 The one recent graduate we have here is being forced to use only ASD so
the rest of us could help him with his desgins, and do a proper back
check of his work.  So in a few years he will probably completely forget
LRFD.
I'm am not saying this is right, or that there are not benefits to
learning LFRD.  But this is real life in the Engineering community.
Perhaps some larger engineering offices have the time and budget to train
their engineers in a new method of design.  I would suspect that most
small offices such as ours that work on tight budgets cannot afford to
re-train their engineers to do LFRD.

When I was in school more than 20 years ago, we learned both WSD and USD
for Concrete.  At my first job (Bechtel), we used USD for concrete.  But
at my second job in a small office, my boss didn't know USD, and forced
me to use WSD.  I became very proficient at WSD.  So even today, I still
use WSD.  Because of school and my two years at Bechtel, I still
understand USD and can check other peoples work.  So in concrete, our
office uses both WSD and USD.
It may take 20 years or so before LRFD takes hold as the mainstream
desgin method for steel!

Lynn