RE: [SEAOC] ASD or LRFD?

You Said:

> From: BRBATES(--nospam--at)aol.com
> Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 19:14:46 -0400
>
> Question for anyone who's interested:
>
> Are you using ASD or LRFD (or something else) for steel design, and why?

FWIW, Congress is trying to use the FHWA to force all state DOTs into using
metric units, as you probably all know.  AASHTO is trying to take advantage of
this effort by attempting to force a transition to LRFD for bridge design at
the same time.  Their primary argument in favor of our spending non-productive
time learning the new code seems to be that it would be "cool" if we had a new
design technique; one that's newer than any other country's.(?) At least they
keep assuring us it generates the same results as the design techniques we use
now.  (Currently we use LFD for concrete and ASD for steel.)  In this age of
taxpayer demands for ever-smaller government staffs and ever-increasing
workloads, at least some of us have little time to spend learning LRFD,
especially since little design and analysis software exists for it yet.  For
one thing, we're too busy trying to deal with such things as designing metric
bridge rehabs for structures built in English units, converting back and forth
and back and forth again.  But, hey, at least our roads will be more
competitive in the international marketplace, eh?:-)

Nigel