Re: [SEAOC] ASD or LRFD?

On Mon, 8 Apr 1996 BRBATES(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> Question for anyone who's interested:
>
> Are you using ASD or LRFD (or something else) for steel design, and why?
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce Bates
> RISA technologies

Bruce,
I just started looking into LRFD a couple of weeks ago. There was a three
part tutorial in "Modern Steel Construction" June, July, and August 1995,
that I am going through, and it doesn't seem all that difficult.
In college, in the sixties we were taught both WSD and USD for concrete
design, but I have always been able to use USD wherever I worked. I have
had to do some checking of "old geezers" who didn't want to switch.
I am now a semi-"old geezer" but I intend to move to what appears to be a
more rational method.

Regarding the load factors themselves, the ANSI/ASCE-7 load factors being
used, seem to have been arrived at after much thought. They do seem a bit
less conservative than those of ACI (yes, they were ther first, but that's
not a very good argument for keeping an Engineering design method). I was
at the ACI Code update seminar yesterday, and we were told (by Loring
Wylie) that ACI would probably start using them a couple of codes down
the line. If more conservativism is desired, it can be handled with the
capacity reduction factors.

Bob Shilling, SE             Berkeley, CA          shilling(--nospam--at)emf.net
KK6QQ          MSA Single 10, 3 floor, 4 knee             DoD# 1195
      "This alligator walks into a bar and ..."   Horizon Kent