Re: [SEAOC] Virus warning - pkzip300

You Said:

> From: MDear885(--nospam--at)aol.com
> Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 16:10:46 -0400
> To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
> Subject: Re: [SEAOC] Virus warning - pkzip300

> >PKZIP300.ZIP
>
> Here we go again. A ZIP file, per se, *cannot* pass on a virus. Only an EXE
> or COM or any other executable code can infect a computer.
>
> If there is such an animal than it can *only* be a program contained within
> the ZIP file. It is also possible that a ZIP file converted to an EXE can be
> infected. But only *after* the conversion or by the program effectuating the
> conversion.
>
> Wherever such warnings arise I get very suspicious when the warning is so
> technically incorrect. It should be verified independantly before posting.

While your comments are correct in the context of a file compressed by PKZIP,
consider that while the file may have the *name* PKZIP300.EXE, it may quite
easily contain no compressed files at all.  Alternatively, it could contain
some compressed files and a small module to de-compress and run the rest.  A
virus in a package such as either of these is quite possible.  Take the warning
and stay away from a file with that name.

Nigel