Re: [SEAOC] ASD or LRFD?

On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Marlou B. Rodriguez wrote:

> Here in the Architectural Engineering Department of Cal Poly, San luis
> Obispo, we are learning the ASD method.  The reason that was given to us
> is that everyone is already using the ASD and the faculty does not think
> that it is worth the time and money to learn a new method in the design
> of steel.

well, here at UCLA, we are taught LRFD because it's the direction, our
professor believes, the industry is headed.  Progress is often made with
the resistance of the majority, but if not even the new generation of
engineers are taught the new methods, then I guess we do need to wait
"another 20 years or so" to move forward.

John Sun