Re: [SEAOC] Virus warning - pkzip300

MDear885(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> >PKZIP300.ZIP
>
> Here we go again. A ZIP file, per se, *cannot* pass on a virus. Only an EXE
> or COM or any other executable code can infect a computer.
>
> If there is such an animal than it can *only* be a program contained within
> the ZIP file. It is also possible that a ZIP file converted to an EXE can be
> infected. But only *after* the conversion or by the program effectuating the
> conversion.
>
> Wherever such warnings arise I get very suspicious when the warning is so
> technically incorrect. It should be verified independantly before posting.
>
> Remember the Good Time mail virus hoax? That is *still* floating around the
> net 2 years later.
>
> I got a call from my blueprinter the other day. His cad operator who plots
> files told me, gravely, that my DXF files were infected! Wow!<g> I had to go
> show him how to use his virus protection program. But it took a while. He
> didn't trust me, you see. Because I distributed infected TEXT files. <VBG>
>
> Mark

I can attest to the fact that I know Mark has been infected with many
things, an infectous sense of humor for one. I, was duped by the first
virus reported, and approached this announcement with much skeptisism.
There is one way that this may be a valid argument. If the virus is
touted to be a self-extracting copy of PKZip, it could in fact be a
virus named something like PKZ003.exe. This is, in fact, an executable
file that can contain an infected virus.

Best advise is to check all downloadable files with a good virus
checker.

Dennis Wish