Re: [SEAOC] ASD or LRFD?

 I use both ASD and LRFD. All Offshore Structures are primarily designed
by API RP 2A which is basically based on AISC with the exception of
punching shear , Hydrostatic collapse, pile-soil-structure interaction
etc. Traditionally API used ASD method . However new API codes are also
available in LRFD. In Canada all the Building and offshore structural
codes are based on LRFD method. I prefer ASD to LRFD where I can see
things better. In general LRFD produces lighter structure because the
load combinations are based on statistics i.e., unlike ASD the Dead ,
Live, Wind, Earthquake, Temperature do not occur simultaneously and hence
reduced factors are used.

Amal K. De P.Eng.