Subject: Re: [SEAOC] ????metal deck conn for out of plane loading????
Author:  seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org at Internet
Date:    4/18/96 6:12 PM

ghassem.khosrownia(--nospam--at)internet.nps.usace.army.mil wrote:

>      Does anyone know of a source on design of deck fasteners for out of
>      plane (uplift) loading?
>
>      Anyone has any recommendations on use of puddle welds (somewhat
>      unreliable quality) vs mechanical attachment?
>
>      My situation: roof decking must be designed for a net uplift in the
>      range of 36 to 86 psf.
>  < snip>

Here in Southern Florida we design for uplift in that range *and higher* on
almost
every project.

The Steel Deck Institute (SDI) has literature on uplift values for screws,
puddle
welds, and other fastener systems.

They're in Canton, Ohio, phone 216-493-7886.  Ask for their Staff Engineer.

-Lew Midlam