[SEAOC] Gerber Girder Bottom Chord Extensions

Has anybody ever seen a gerber girder system with either wood plate or
Trus-Joist TJL type joists used as bottom chord extensions at the column
locations?

I have a job where we spec'd steel owsj's with bottom chord extensions
at all column locations where there were cantilevers -- an alternate has
come up to use a wood plate truss system. Our drawings specify that the
bottom chord extensions must be designed for a +/- load of 2% of the
compression flange force which in this case amounts to 1000lbs. The only
issue I see with a wood plate truss is the stiffness when this load is
applied to the bottom chord -- that is what is the lateral deflection
of the beam bottom flange and what is an acceptable limit?

We are not in a seismic zone.

Kevin Elbury, P.Eng.
Kelowna, B.C., Canada