[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] LRFD Vs. ASD?

On Mon, 20 May 1996, Drake, Rick wrote:

>      This LRFD or ASD Design thread was initiated by Bruce Bates
> with:
>
>      "Question for anyone who's interested: Are you using ASD or LRFD
> (or
>      something else) for steel design, and why?"

<snip>

>      Within the curriculum it is not practical to teach both ASD and
> LRFD.
>      At Cal State Fullerton, we presently teach ASD in our semester
>      undergraduate courses.  The last 2 lectures are devoted to the
>      concepts of LRFD design.  Which methods do the other West Coach
>      schools teach?
>
>      Rick Drake, SE
>      rick.drake(--nospam--at)fluordaniel.com

Rick,
I took concrete design in '67, using Ferguson, 2nd edition, which gave
about equal coverage to WSD and USD. For the first few years after
graduating, I ran into situations where one or the other was required.
Our school was on the quarter system, so we covered a lot in a short
time. I guess what I'm leading up to here, is that, maybe with a little
creativity, you -could- say, emphasize LRFD, but also throw in enough ASD
to get your students started should they need it. We are starting to use
LRFD some in our office, and other engineers I have talked to indicate
that they are starting to look at it. I would guess that we -will-
eventually be using it as much as USD. Bottom line: a student who goes to
work in an office with no preparation in the design method that office is
using is not going to look back fondly on their Alma Mater.
Bob

Bob Shilling, SE             Berkeley, CA          shilling(--nospam--at)emf.net