[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] plywood shear panel nailing

RLFOLEY(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> The only diffference I am aware of is the issue of overdriven nails damaging
> the outer ply when machine nailing.  APA  has a bulletin that covers
> overdriven nails.
>
> The subcontractor should use a nail gun with a governor on it to minimize
> overdiving
>
> RLFOLEY(--nospam--at)AOL.COM
> Structural Engineer

As far as I know, SEAOSC has done studies for the difference in shear
walls nailed with sinkers verses common nails. L.A. City has called for
a degradation of 15% off the rated shear where sinkers are used in lieu
of common nails.
I know that there is still some controversy over this issue.
I also agree with Ray that the major problem with power driven nails is
the damage to the ply layers. The advantages that I read about power
driven nails is the advantage of the hot glue that creates a better bond
with the wood for resistance to nail withdrawl.

Dennis Wish PE