[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] plywood shear panel nailing

In the 1995 SEAOC Proceedings, 64th Annual Convention there is a article
Laboratory Testing To Investigate Pneumatically Driven Box Nails..........
The box head nails actually tested better than commons for 3/8" plywood.
The head size has a significant effect on performance. I do not recall if
the nails were coated, but I don't think they were. Overdriven box head
nails performed better than commons as well.

Jeff Smith, S.E.

>RLFOLEY(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
>>
>> The only diffference I am aware of is the issue of overdriven nails damaging
>> the outer ply when machine nailing.  APA  has a bulletin that covers
>> overdriven nails.
>>
>> The subcontractor should use a nail gun with a governor on it to minimize
>> overdiving
>>
>> RLFOLEY(--nospam--at)AOL.COM
>> Structural Engineer
>
>As far as I know, SEAOSC has done studies for the difference in shear
>walls nailed with sinkers verses common nails. L.A. City has called for
>a degradation of 15% off the rated shear where sinkers are used in lieu
>of common nails.
>I know that there is still some controversy over this issue.
>I also agree with Ray that the major problem with power driven nails is
>the damage to the ply layers. The advantages that I read about power
>driven nails is the advantage of the hot glue that creates a better bond
>with the wood for resistance to nail withdrawl.
>
>Dennis Wish PE

Jeff Smith. S.E.
phone: (415) 543-8651
fax: (415) 543-8679