[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] plywood shear panel nailing

Jeff Smith wrote:

> In the 1995 SEAOC Proceedings, 64th Annual Convention there is a article
> Laboratory Testing To Investigate Pneumatically Driven Box Nails..........
> The box head nails actually tested better than commons for 3/8" plywood.
> The head size has a significant effect on performance. I do not recall if
> the nails were coated, but I don't think they were. Overdriven box head
> nails performed better than commons as well.
>
> Jeff Smith, S.E.
>
> >RLFOLEY(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
> >>
> >> The only diffference I am aware of is the issue of overdriven nails damaging
> >> the outer ply when machine nailing.  APA  has a bulletin that covers
> >> overdriven nails.
> >>
> >> The subcontractor should use a nail gun with a governor on it to minimize
> >> overdiving
> >>
> >> RLFOLEY(--nospam--at)AOL.COM
> >> Structural Engineer
> >
> >As far as I know, SEAOSC has done studies for the difference in shear
> >walls nailed with sinkers verses common nails. L.A. City has called for
> >a degradation of 15% off the rated shear where sinkers are used in lieu
> >of common nails.
> >I know that there is still some controversy over this issue.
> >I also agree with Ray that the major problem with power driven nails is
> >the damage to the ply layers. The advantages that I read about power
> >driven nails is the advantage of the hot glue that creates a better bond
> >with the wood for resistance to nail withdrawl.
> >
> >Dennis Wish PE

> Regards,
>
> Jeff Smith. S.E.
> phone: (415) 543-8651
> fax: (415) 543-8679
> email: smthengr(--nospam--at)sirius.com
>
> Smith Engineering
> 27 South Park
> San Francisco, CA 94107

I read this too. Unfortunatly, until it is adopted by a municpality or
voted into code, I can't give it much credibility. LA City must have had
testing to backup their revision to the code for a 15% shear reduction.

I'll check it out

Dennis Wish PE