[SEAOC] FW: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re:

 ----------
From: Crosier, Jeffrey
To: terry2(--nospam--at)cdepot.net (Terry Weath
Subject: RE: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Re: [SEA
Date: Wednesday, May 29, 1996 10:39AM

Terry,
>From what I know, the L.A. City reduction is now 25% based on their memo of
May 20, 1994 and subsequently appended.  Prior to that, they required a 20%
reduction which was effective Nov. 7, 1992 unless you called for special
inspection, then and only then could you use the common nail values.  The
20% reduction is based on the allowable values in UBC table 23-I-G (formerly
25-G) for box nails compared with common nails.  You could work your own
values which should coincide with the UBC values by following the procedures
in APA research report 105.  I don't know where the 15% Dennis mentions
comes from, that figure could possibly be a mistake.  If anyone knows for
sure, it would be good to know.  My feeling is that the 20% reduction was
not based on testing, only on calculations but I don't know for sure.

Jeff Crosier, S.E.