[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Nailing

>RLFOLEY(--nospam--at)AOL.COM wrote:
>I have some samples of 8d sinker nails in my office and the head is
>considerably smaller than a box or common head. The shank dameter is the same
>as the box nail

        Actually, as I recall, Simpson has a reduction factor near the front
page of their catalogue. Few companies do as much testing as Simpson so, it
seems to me, there must be a less value. With the volumnous amounts of GVS's
I see used in the field, maybe it makes sense to "throw in a couple" (20% or
so?) extra to account for the more likely lower shear value nail actually
being used in the field.