[SEAOC] Re: [SEAOC] Surcharge on a retaining wall

sac39899(--nospam--at)saclink.csus.edu wrote:

> I have recently come across the problem of  putting a spread footing
> behind an existing wall and footing that has little or no capacity
> for lateral loading.  The question is how deep to make the new  footing so
> that it does not induce lateral loading on the existing wall footing.
>
> Obviously, I could make the footing as deep as the wall footing,
> thereby, eliminating any chance of lateral loading.  However, that
> would require a lot of concrete. Since the new footings are at
> varying distances from the wall,  I would rather make the new
> footings only as deep as necessary.
>
> So here's my question...would a 1:1 rule apply? Hypothetically, if I
> had a 10 ft high retaining wall and a surcharge 10 ft away from the
> wall, could I safely assume that there is little or no lateral load
> on the wall?
>
> I ask this, because I would like to avoid getting into a Boisenesque
> analysis.  Quick and dirty, is more efficient for this small project.

> Eric J Scott
> escott(--nospam--at)csus.edu
> Cline, Agee, and Swedin
> Architects and Engineers

All surcharge loads on the fill side shall be kept back from the wall a
distance equal to 2/3 the height of the wall. The distance is measured
from the back of the wall to the front edge of the footing/pier. This
generally is acceptable for residential footings and pier footings
supporting decks. This has been a County of San Bernardino approved
detail since 1973.

Ken Wilkinson