[SEAOC] Future Seismic Codes in United States

Fred Turner's message, entitled "Don't Teach LRFD", dated June 1, 1996, is very
important to those who believe that Allowable Stress Design (ASD) should be
provided for in the future seismic codes in United States.  The results of the
Bruce Bates' recent informal SEAOC List Server survey indicated that ASD
is used approximately twice as often as LRFD for steel design was very
revealing.  Why eliminate ASD in future seismic codes when ASD is used by so
many structural design offices, by a ratio of 2:1?
The Building Seismic Safety Council (BSSC) has done a good job to update the
NEHRP Provisions using the same talented structural engineers who help update
the Uniform Building Code on a voluntary basis.  However, some engineers are
concerned that the NEHRP Provisions have taken on the perception of a federally
mandated national building code for seismic provisions.  Many years ago the
leading structural engineers in California were very concerned about the
possibility of a "federally mandated national seismic code", even when the
advocates for the NEHRP Provisions told us that the NEHRP Provisions would never
used for that purpose.  When we have a "federally mandated national seismic
code", because federal funding can be tied to acceptance of such a seismic code,
then we can loose local state control of our building code provisions.
If you are concerned about this possible elimination of ASD provisions in the
national seismic codes, then one course of action would be to contact your local
civil and structural professional engineering and building offical
organizations, including the Board of Directors and voting members of BSSC, and
express your opinions. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
Frank McClure  fmcclure(--nospam--at)ccnet.com